The Canadian Cancer Society, PEI Division is a community-based volunteer organization whose mission is the eradication of cancer and the enhancement of the quality of life of people living with cancer. As an organization, we strive to create a world where no Canadian fears cancer. We are the only cancer organization providing research, programs, services and support to Islanders and their families living with all types of cancer.
Organizational Mandate and Community Impact
The Canadian Cancer Society has more impact, against more cancers, in more communities, than any other cancer charity in Canada. We do everything we can to prevent cancer, save lives and support people living with cancer and offer the most meaningful opportunities for individuals to make the biggest difference in the fight against cancer.
How We Help Islanders
Community support to the Canadian Cancer Society, PEI Division helps us:
- Reduce cancer deaths through early detection and increased participation in provincial screening programs for breast, colon and cervical cancers.
- Reduce smoking rates in PEI.
- Increase awareness of Sun Safety and successful advocacy for tanning bed legislation.
- Assist Islanders living with cancer. Last year alone, we supported 1,650 individuals with information, emotional and/or practical support.
- Support over 200 Islanders through the national Cancer Information Service.
- Support CCS peer support program, CancerConnection, that provides one-on-one communication with individuals with similar types of cancer.
- Fund Reach to Recovery program, for breast cancer patients. Last year, volunteers provided 70 women with face to face peer support visits.
- Ensure cancer treatment stays on PEI through the creation of the PEI Cancer Treatment Centre.